I just copied this from the AntiPatternTemplate
. If something should be added or reworded, go ahead and do it. In particular, some of the slot descriptions could use amplification.
Every slot should contain accurate information and descriptions, except
those explicitly marked "supposed". This should cut down on some of the confusion people have with AntiPattern
s and which parts are good or bad.
Discussion about this template should probably go on CodeSmellTemplateDiscussion?
, just so it's easier for users to cut and paste the template itself.
When the template has evolved to a stable state, it might make sense to go back and restructure existing CodeSmell
: [Design | Organizational | ...]
: [what you really want to solve; present a simple concrete example]
: [the bad solution; explain in terms of your concrete example]
: [what happens when you apply it, good and bad]
- Judging by the SetTheBozoBit page, where almost all of the contributors cheered on the AntiPattern as if it were a DesignPattern, I think this is by far the most important section, and therefore perhaps needs to be expanded.
- The exterior link to this antipattern did not at all help emphasize that it was an antipattern rather than a pattern; such things need very clear emphasis.
- Seductive forces: why this is so popular
- Why, despite the seductiveness, this is actually a BadThing
- Replacement positive patterns (leaving this until later, in the possibly left-empty "applicable positive patterns" seems too little too late; that could be regarded as sort of "see also")
Applicable Positive Patterns
: [classify it]
Also Known As
: [other names]
Examples in the Literature
Examples in Practice