Click on Edit
Text (it's ok to try, really! :) to see the formatting stuff, but please don't change the page - use WikiWikiSandbox
for testing these rules.
A few tabulated examples:
The formatted result. | The raw text
| strong man.
| Strong Man
Italicized text here.
| ''Italicized text
Strong italic text:-)
- Bullet pointed. | * Bullet pointed.
- Numbered list.| <tab>0 Numbered list.
leading space. | leading space.
(Where <tab> denotes a tab character.)
two single quotes
now two single quotes and three single quotes (total of 5)
-- three single quotes
Bold italic text
-- two plus three single quotes
Quoted bold italic maybe?
two quotes -- Italic
three quotes -- BOLD
'Trying four quotes
'Trying many quotes
Note that "mind your p
's" is awkward to produce.
Quotes or S
monospace preformatted stuff begins with a space
Link to FrontPage
Horizontal line with front space:
Horizontal lines without front space:
- An unnumbered list begins with an asterisk.
- A list member
- Nested list members without tabs.
- You can now nest beyond four deep...
- ...although it becomes hard...
- A numbered list, which starts with a tab and any digit, is automatically numbered.
- It is also called an ordered list.
- The various kinds of lists can be nested by using extra tabs.
- Also this way:
- Nested too
- Yet one more
- And another one
- This is not another one
- But this one is
- Also the other way round:
- Item 1
- Item 2
- 3 metI
- And like this.
- Nested item.
- Even more nested item.
- I've flown the coop!
- definition -- formed with Tab-Stuff-Colon-Tab
- another term
- and its buddy definition
- This is a block quote. It looks like <TAB><SPACE>:<TAB>text. This is because it really is a term: definition block with the term being a <SPACE>.
Image in this Wiki (just the URL to the image file):
<TAB><SPACE>:<TAB>text also seems to be the best format for poems (copy-and-paste from GreatPoemsList
, The Tempest
act IV scene 1.
Edit (but don't change, please) this page to see the formatting stuff.
3 single quotes
If you indent your paragraph, it will be monospaced and won't line-wrap. This is a very common mistake, but trying to rectify it by inserting new lines into the paragraph doesn't work.
Our [many] revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Monospaced text is also handy for showing tables (since HtmlTables
are not supported).
Person Pickles picked
Mary 0.35 peck
Peter 1.00 peck
See also TipForTypingTab