The new AgileNorth
group is now filling the void left by the demise of this group!
Next meeting: Date and time to be announced.
All are welcome, especially those thinking of taking up XP.
Location: Swan Tavern, Golbourne Rd, Winwick, Warrington, Cheshire WA2 8LF, Tel: 0870 7001562.
It's close to the M6 / M62 intersection.
Please let me know if you would like to come (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Would anyone care to volunteer a theme for the meeting to focus the discussion a bit?
-- Simon Monk
The purpose of this group is to act as a forum both for people practicing Xp and those thinking of starting Xp to exchange ideas informally. The group is not sponsored by any organizations and will remain independent.
The format of our meeting is very relaxed, with no fixed agenda. The emphasis is on exchanging experiences and picking up tips. We have a range of people including practitioners, academics, and even those still unsure.
We meet on the second Monday of every month. Check here for times and places.
Locations may vary but will be in a pub and will be in the North of England.
Meeting (or should that be gathering) 13th May 2002
There was no agenda but
Topics discussed today included:
- How to persuade teams to be more disciplined in unit testing when they integrate code and the associated issues over the use of cvs with multiple pairs.
- Test driven development. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/testdrivendevelopment/)
- When to stop refactoring. Does refactoring mercilessly mean you don't stop until it's perfect?
- Reviews of sessions at OT2002. (http://www.ot2002.org/)
- Fish and chips or bubble and squeak with sausages?
- If you take the view that you should throw away designs and code then start again when you hit a deadend, do you can you reuse your previous designs, have patterns got a place? Just how should it all hang together?
- What other companies use XP in the North? If you do then let Simon know.
- To mock object or not to mock object? (though some had left at this point)
- How to have small development teams when you have lots of developers.
- Should we change the format of these meetings? Will this attract more people? Would a more formal afternoon session be better? (mail Simon with your thoughts).
It was my first visit to the group and I enjoyed it. I was welcomed despite being a bit of an XP cynic. I think the next meeting will be the 10th June but I'm sure it will be announced officially at some point. (AnotherMikeThomas
CategoryGroup CategoryXpUsersGroup EnglandCountry UnitedKingdom